Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing 20: Facebook and Myspace

I have been trying myspace and facebook prior to this thing. It was good, I suppose, to have a little more guidance in these networks. I have a facebook account, but really it is too much for me. All this "transparency" is too much. I feel shy and stupid. I suppose I am an introvert by nature, and not even the distance of a medium using computers, typing and transmission lines is enough to make this feel isn't unnecessary exposure. I hated high school and never wish to return. This feels like the worst of it.

As to how this could work for my library...
I have been looking into how other libraries use myspace and facebook in my request to redo our website and bi program. I haven't found anything too earth-shaking in other libraries that are similar to mine. I agree that having a presence where student reside is a benefit, but I think that our first step should be moving into a presence in our institutions course management software. This is were students are centered for coursework and scholarship- let's exist there. not necessarily where students are socializing. This will also advantage us in terms of consistency when young people move onto the next social network or mind-meld-physic network.

I am not opposed to a limited presence in one of those networks, as a pointer. perhaps this will be down the road. I must prioritize.

No comments: