Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thing 12: Social media sites

I haven't been so excited about these sites for myself. But the introduction of this thing makes a good point that when working the reference desk, one should be up to date. (though I would much rather be required to read the daily NYT, etc)

Mixx,
hmm. not so great. I have seen other sites that seem more relevant have a larger audience. disaapointing

Digg,
I like this one a lot more. I have used it before. It is nice to be reminded of it. Also, I thought that this sight actually h

Newswire
I like that is has the AP newswire. that is hard to find.

Reddit
hate the layout


Concerns:

without an "editor" and letting the group decide what is important, one is left to the taste of the masses. One needs to determine what "mass" of users one wants to be assoicated with or which one wants to spend time enjoying the tastes of. Who is spending their time voting for these things. lowest common denominator. is that the best? I'm not convinced (or entertained by or educated by...) I guess I need to find a network of like minded people or at least a group that I think is worth paying (and I mean paying -- with my time, energy, attention, care) attention to.

what does the "best" mean in this context. it becomes worthless. "the best of the web" "the best of the ..."

No comments: