Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thing 10: Wikis

I have been thinking about wikis lately and was glad to learn more about them. I am especially interested in using them for reference subject guides and as a way to expand our library website without involving our campus IT staff. pbwiki wetpaint.com wikispaces.com

I find it difficult to find an interesting wiki. Certainly I love wikipedia and use it regularly. It certainly has its place in the library. I used to be more disposed against it especially in regards to reference. But now, clearly, it must be included in instruction and student need to learn when it is an appropriate source and the pitfalls of it. It is nice that there is so much critical mass for the wikipedia.

I will be working on utilizing this in the future as a tool for myself. But I don't really see how the colloboration aspects will help among our staff or institution. Perhaps it will reveal itself down the road as I use other tools first.

No comments: